Ricky Gervais made me mad at my husband

I've never met Ricky Gervais.  I am not particularly a Ricky Gervais fan.  I mean sure, he's great, but I just don't go out of my way to see his work. And while some ladies may consider him swoon worthy, I do not. 

So then how in the world could Ricky Gervais of all people make me want to sentence my husband to life on the couch?

Well let me tell you...

It all happened one night at 10pm when my husband and I sat down to watch TV together.  He picked the show.  After Life on Netflix.  I had never heard of it, but I figured if it was boring I would just scroll social media on my phone. 

If you've never heard of After Life, it's a show starring Ricky Gervais as Tony.  A man who has just lost his wife and is trying to sort things out in the aftermath of losing her.  In his grief he is at a place of reckless abandon which accounts for some very funny, and some very grimace-worthy scenes.

At this point you may be jumping to some conclusions.  Amy was obviously emotionally moved by his grief and is mad at her husband for choosing a show that turned her into a sobbing mess.  Or Amy must have been mad at her husband because the show sucked and he complained when she tried to play Candy Crush.  Or maybe you think I'm angry because there were inappropriate jokes or something that offended me. 

But no.  Your assumptions are wrong.

Ricky Gervais's character, Tony, loved his wife so much.  So. Freaking. Much.  We see how much he loves her in flashback videos he watches of the two of them.  We feel how much he loves her in his face.  We hear how much he loves her when he talks about her. 

So, like any half-psychotic wife, this made me feel LIVID towards my own husband.  As I watched Ricky on screen my jaw dropped.  I started side eyeing my husband.  Oblivious and snacking.  Until finally I could no longer hold in my feelings.  I'm pretty sure I called him a jerk.  He was flabbergasted. 

"You don't love me enough!  You don't love me as much as Ricky Gervais loves his dead wife!"

To which my husband nonchalantly replied, "You don't know what I'd say about you if you died."  (Like, seriously?  Was that supposed to make me feel better?)

Despite the fiery rage within my soul, my husband continued to put After Life on every night until we finished all of the episodes.  He found it amusing when my eyes would widen in rage and I would spat out a "I am so mad at you" which watching the show. 

But when the shit really hit the fan?  (Spoiler alert) Towards the end of the season when we see a flashback of Ricky surprising his wife with a GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPY.  I lost my mind.  German Shepherds are my love language.  I want a German Shepherd.  I want ALL the German Shepherds. 

Yes, guys, I told you I was half crazy.  But I was full-on psychopath after that scene.  "You NEVER surprise me with puppies!  You know how much I want a German Shepherd.  You don't love me enough to surprise ME with German Shepherd puppies!  This isn't working.  We may need a divorce.  You obviously don't love me enough."

And how did my husband respond?  He laughed.  And he shrugged.  And he said "maybe I will."

I'm still freaking waiting.

Comments

Popular Posts