I went to the Zoo when it was 40 degrees

So today I did something I swore I would never do.  I took my kid to the zoo when it was 40 degrees outside. 

I will do whatever I can to avoid being outside in the cold.  But not today.  Today I willingly took my 3 year old to the zoo in 40 degree weather.  

Why? I had signed her up for a class the zoo offered.  A little activity, a story, and some seeing/petting zoo animals.  (Today was the millipede, king frog, box turtle, and domestic rabbit.)  My daughter loved every second of it. 

Afterwards I asked if she wanted to go walk around the zoo.  We have a zoo membership so it was free.  I figured we could check out an animal or two, get lunch and leave.  

But we were there for hours.  

And I learned something so amazing during my time there today.  The zoo is so amazing and so special in the winter.  

- The park was empty.  Aside from maybe three other families, the only human life we saw were members of the zoo staff.  No big heads to look around or strollers to get run over by.

- The animals were calm.  There was no psychotic pacing of the big cats.  No screaming animals.  Everything felt at peace.  

- The animals were happy to see us.  Seriously.  The monkeys and penguins came right up to the glass and stayed there.  The lionesses laid up against the window.  The goats at the petting zoo surrounded us. Even the doves stared and cooed.  

- Not all the animals were out on display.  Might sound disappointing at first.  But not when you are with a 3 year old.  There was no way to be overwhelmed.  We didn't have to walk to each and every part of the park.  We have something to look forward to when we go back another day.

- We saw animals that usually hide.  Like the red pandas.  And the bobcat.  

- Everyone was super friendly.  The staff wasn't run down and exhausted from dealing with large crowds.  They were accommodating and talkative and genuinely seemed to want to make our visit great.  And when we did run into other families?  They were all super friendly too - eager to see comrades that venture out on day trips in the cold.  

- I got fantastic pictures.

But the most important reason was that my daughter loved it and appreciated it.  She said: "Mommy, you make my heart happy.  Thank you for taking me to the zoo.  Best day ever."  

And she's right.  It was the best day ever.  Cold, yes.  But so completely worth it.







Comments

Popular Posts